Hi and Welcome!

This, It Happens in Alabama blog, is written by me, Janet Kynard. I am the Founder/President of It Happens in Alabama. My posts are based on real life experiences and personal opinions and are meant to be used as a reference when planning outings, for entertainment purposes and for keeping up with activities, happenings and events in Alabama. I hope you enjoy. Please feel free to leave feedback and to share.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

I’m Seeing Peanuts Everywhere, Have I Gone Nuts?

By: Janet Kynard, It Happens in Alabama 

When I arrived in Dothan, Alabama, I began to notice peanuts everywhere; peanuts around town, in stores, in bushes and even in unusual places. I said to myself, “What’s going on here? Has Dothan been taken over by a bunch of nuts?” Those of you that know me know I was about to get right in the middle of this.

I made a stop at the Dothan Area Convention & Visitors Bureau to get information. That’s where I met Bob Hendricks. He gave me so much information and my official "Peanuts Around Town" map. That’s when it all began to make great sense.  
You see, Dothan is known as the “Peanut Capital of the World.” More than half of all the peanuts in the United States are grown within a 100-mile radius of this town. The average 1.5 million tons produced each year is often more than the production of peas and beans combined.
Dothan is the host to the National Peanut Festival, each year in November. It is a two week event that honors local peanut farmers and celebrates the harvest. So, I guess you can say peanuts are king in Dothan. This only makes it fitting to have a peanut statue of The King. That’s right! Peanut Elvis Presley is located right in the lobby of the visitor’s center.

The public art project “Peanuts around Town” started out as a fundraiser for the revival of downtown to provide funding for the addition of two new murals. In this project, local businesses, civic organizations and individuals purchased and decorate their peanut according to their own concept.

Currently there are an estimated 40 peanuts around Dothan with each sculpture being unique and having its own story. One story I really enjoyed was the one of Mr. Trawick. Byron “Cotton” Trawick was known in Dothan as “The Peanut Man.” For over 25 years, he sold peanuts at the busiest intersection to locals and travelers. A peanut statue has been placed in his memory on this very spot. I find it precious that he often told his patrons, “Have a good day and let the Lord ride with ya.” HIs parting remarks are printed on the barrel next to his statue.

After a long afternoon, on my scavenger hunt, I headed back to my hotel to check out the pictures I had taken and plan my attack for the next day. While doing research on the internet, I found out about a peanut that was NOT on my official map. It immediately became my favorite peanut of ALLl! It was one honoring “Dancin” Dave Whatley.


If peanuts are the king of Dothan, “Dancin” Dave was the King of the Wiregrass. Everyone knew Dave and he didn’t need music to dance his way into your heart. He could be seen all over town; at all festivals and events or just walking the streets. Dave was endearing and was loved by all who met him. He lived to bring a smile to everyone.

The peanut in his honor, located on the square in Headland, Alabama, was made in his image, wearing his signature white suit, parade gloves and sailor hat with “DAVE” in black letters. From all I have learned about Dave, this is extremely fitting.

If you love a great scavenger hunt, Peanuts around Town is the one is for you! It was a blast darting all over town with great excitement and anticipation to see the next design. It will take you all day, if not two to complete your hunt. You’ll visit some very interesting locations along the route.

I will share only a few photographs of my peanuts around town, so no one overdoses on too many legumes.

 To see a bunch of nuts, visit out article on It Happens in Alabama

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by! Please let us know your thoughts.